2016 was a great year for interior design. So many trends were influenced by new innovations and technology; beautiful colors took new form; unique silhouettes filled every room of the home; and textures and fabrics breathed life into otherwise traditional furnishings.
But it’s a new year, and time for new looks. Here’s a peek at three current trends that will have the interior design world buzzing in 2017.
For years, the design industry has been buzzing about texture, and how plush or sinuous fabrics flip a design on its head for a totally unique effect. In 2017, the texture trend continues with the rise of velvet.
Velvet is a classic fabric that periodically enjoys a new surge of popularity. This year, we see velvet used on every furniture piece imaginable, from ottomans to dining room chairs to the smallest fringed detail.
This trend is all about adding just the right amount of ‘ooh la la’ to any space, without diving too deep into luxury.
Get the look:
- Jewel-toned velvet fabrics add a luxe look to any piece of furniture. Cover an ottoman or desk chair with this sophisticated upholstery for an elegant boost.
- Create a masculine setting by pairing navy velvet dining chairs with a rich wood table and metallic place settings.
- Add glamour to a master suite with velvet drapes. Hues like rich emerald green or soft blush add just the right touch of sophistication, without overwhelming the space.
Everyone loves a great pair of jeans, so it’s no mystery why the design world is falling for denim fabrics, motifs, and patterns for home interiors.
Channeling indigo hues and a perfectly worn-in feel, the denim trend of 2017 offers approachability to furnishings, finishes, and fabrics alike.
Taking cues from the velvet trend, denim-like fabric can be found on ottomans, window coverings, bed linens, and area rugs, offering a simple yet sophisticated take on everyone’s favorite fabric.
Get the look:
- Dip your toe into the denim look with a duvet cover or area rug. These larger linens make a huge impact on your space without being too permanent.
- Denim hues go well with metallic finishes. Adding this hue to a bathroom space via hand towels or a beautiful rug will make your polished nickel hardware “pop,” or give your favorite brass faucet a modern feel.
Designers use stripes as a “neutral” element to anchor a space with clean lines and bold colors. In 2017, stripes will be used as a statement-maker all on their own.
With a bold brushstroke down the middle of a wingback chair, or as a reimagined wallpaper pattern, the single stripe is the new must-know print. Stripes, whether a simple pinstripe or graphic configuration, can be worked into any space, from uber-modern to tailored and traditional.
Get the look:
- Get graphic with a single bold stripe down the back of a wingback chair for added flair without the commitment to a full stripe pattern.
- A beautiful pinstripe-patterned wall covering adds impact without crowding a room’s design. Add this easy look to a powder bathroom for an instant style boost.
See four home design trends to try at home in 2017 – and three to kiss goodbye.